Monday, February 25, 2008

Creative writing post #3

1. Writing a play was better than I thought it would be. The dialogue between characters seemed to flow really easily and the plot kind of unfolded on its own as the play continued. One thing that I wish play format wouldn't limit is the amount of action that can be included. Driving through the woods in a golf cart was very difficult to desribe in my play and I wish I would have thought of other methods of transportation before I started writing. One thing I like about writing plays is that it's easy to describe the characters and setting. You don't have to find a way to make fit them into the story, but instead you can just describe everything exactly like it is (just start a new paragraph with italics...). Writing this play was very easy and straightforward and it was funny hearing some of them in class ("Hello my beautifuls").

2. If I could give any piece of advice to a 10-year-old kid, I would tell them that it is good to have a lot of friends and people you can trust, but you have to be able to do things by yourself sometimes. I have had some experiences working in groups where all of the other members have left me to do the work by myself. A few times, these have been people that I thought were hard workers and I believed would do their share. Now that I have seen these types of things happen, I feel more comfortbale working by myself. Another thing I would be sure to tell them is that you have to choose the people that you associate yourself with carefully. If you are seen around people that are thought of poorly, people will probably assume flase things about you. I know this because I think I pre-judge people occasionally (which I try not to do) and don't give them the chance they deserve.

3. I think that what makes plays great is how they are initially viewed by society. If a literary work makes a good first impression, the people who think it is good will pass on stories about it to other generations. This can continue for hundreds 0f years because we live in a world where tradition is appreciated. I don't know if I could write anything that would last 200 years. I think that people might not understand my sense of humor and at first dislike the literature. Without a good first impression, a literary work is almost done for. People will forget it and it will not be passed on to others.

1 comment:

Optimus Prime said...

I'm glad you had fun writing your play J-sons. I read your play and it was very entertaining to read and I thought that you did a fine job in writing that play. As for your advice you would give the kid, I would agree with you most of the way. You wrote a great play, and I hope that you can write a great piece of literature because that would be cool