Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Creative writing post #2

1. Theme is important in all creative pieces of writing. In fact, I believe that it is the MOST important thing to include in a story. Stories are written to prove a point or to make people aware of things that need to be fixed or things that are already great about the world. In order for a book to be considered a great piece of literature, I think that there needs to be a moral or a theme that ties in with the plot. The best books I have read have all had a clear theme that I can recognize in my life or that I know others can recognize in theirs. People might say that an adventure book doesn't need to have a theme, it just has to keep readers' attention, but I wouldn't agree with them. A great literary work needs to be more than just a plot, it needs to teach readers a lesson.

2. I have a few ideas for a theme that I would use in my play, but I believe in one more strongly than the others. This idea is that hard work always pays off in the end, and the people that persevere and try their hardest will always come out on top. I have seen this proven in real life, such as in sports, where the athletes that train the hardest always end up being the best. The athletes that use steroids often end up getting hurt, while those who don't use steroids normally stay healthy. Working hard is important to me becuase I consider myself a hard worker and have had things pay off for me because of it.

3. One conflict that I will write about will be a conflict involving a person fighting against himself or herself. They will have a mental block that prevents them from believing in him/herself and will have to turn to others to figure it out. Doctors and therapists could be brought in, only to make the problem worse. Maybe the person with the mental block will not be able to work hard because of it. The rest will hopefully develop shortly...

4 comments:

Optimus Prime said...

I would have to agree with you on your first paragraph, unlike some others in our group i also belive that theme is an important part of a good part of literature, it brings much excitment to the table. Also i really like your theme in your second paragraph, about hard work. I think hard work does pay off and i think it would be a great idea for your play.

Elizabeth said...

Arg, I wrote a sweet comment..and then Catie hit my elbow and deleted it all. Sooo...here goes again. I agree that the great works of literature throughout history teach lessons; however, I don't believe that those lessons are fixed. The theme idea for your next play sounds very relatable to the real world. It's a good subject matter to breach. The conflict idea sounds fun as well--go for it.

Elizabeth said...

I will have you know Jared S-----, that when i wrote my play for this class my main focus was my theme! Not conflict, not plot, not character development. Theme..and I thought about theme a lot. I hope you're pleased and proud of me.

Catie said...

Well I am sorry for my late post. But I DON'T think that fighting over a stupid topic would be a lame play. Well it could but, if you add enough action and drama it can be good. Just keep in mind that it could potentially lead onto lots of rambling.But I did agree with your theme post. It is very true that in order to compose a great work of literature that a good theme is important, Good work.